Thursday, February 5, 2015

Are you running the correct race?

As I started today I realized there was much more I wanted to say than could fit in a Facebook status. 
My Faith verse was Hebrews 12:2 but as my eyes wandered up the page I read the word PERSEVERANCE again which was the word that caught my attention yesterday also.  

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. 

As I read those verses it hit me that as Christ followers we are mandated to follow an example of witnesses that have come and gone. And I know for a fact that we can follow "witnesses" good or bad because we do it all day....the "witnesses" are just called "stars".  

So my first question is who is the "witness" you are following? 

As I read on it says " throw off EVERYTHING that hinders us.  So what is it that hinders you? 
A career?
Friends?
A group you are a member of?
Is it TV, movies, music?
Is it an attitude that your "poop" don't stink so what do I need to fix? 
Is it prestige?
And the list can go on and on.....
But the verse also says "the sin that so easily entangles".... Galatians 5 says: 

The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;  idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

How much of these things fit into our daily life? Be honest. If we are a Christ follower then we need to be working on NOT doing these things daily.  But if these things are your LIFESTYLE  then you may need to revisit your relationship as a Christ follower. 
 
Then the verse goes on to say: "let's us run with PERSEVERANCE    that race marked out for us"...
Perseverance is keep on keepin' on even when circumstances tell you otherwise until that time when God tells you to stop. And if you are running the "rat"race....you need to stop and ask God to get you on the right path for the right race because Ephesians 2 says: 
For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

And as you run the race God has set for you "fix your eyes on Jesus the source and perfecter of your faith." 

So to end if your faith is NOT on the source and perfecter you are running the wrong race and you will NOT like the outcome. 
So stop and start over today:  
Lamentations 3 
22 Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
    for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness.

24 

No comments:

Post a Comment