Saturday, March 28, 2015

What...You didn't know me?

My heart is HEAVY...
This week I finally watched "God's Not DEAD". After that I was doing a word study and it took me to Psalms 78 (which by the way had NOTHING to do with the word study) and then on Facebook I saw this picture
highway
So why is my heart heavy? In watching "Gods Not DEAD", the Professor got all but ONE to write "God is DEAD" on a piece of paper in order to have an easier time in class. People may say "its not that big of a deal. Its just a piece of paper in a college class". Mark 8:38 says:
If anyone is ashamed of me and my message in these adulterous and sinful days, the Son of Man will be ashamed of that person when He returns in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.” 
Not a big deal, you say. Well sometimes God gives you a verse that means a lot to you. Its not a part of a famous sermon or one we quote often when we are looking for a "make me feel good about myself" verse. The verses that rocked my world were  Matthew 7:21-23
 “Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’  But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
I  will not write down all of Psalms 78 but instead I will paraphrase it:
Verses 1-8 Talks about how God issued laws to Jacob to teach His instructions to his children.  He also commanded our ancestors to teach them their children. Why?
So each generations should set its hope anew on God, not forgetting His glorious miracle and obeying His commands. Then they will not be like their ancestors —  stubborn, rebellious, and unfaithful, refusing to give their hearts to God.
Verses 9-16 talks about how they forgot all the miracles He did as they turned their backs and fled the day of battle.
Verses 17-20  talks about how they kept sinning and tested God in their hearts saying: "God can’t give us food in the wilderness. Yes, He can strike a rock so water gushes out, but He can’t give his people bread and meat.”
How many times is this us; We try to use reverse psychology on God?
Verse 21-30 God becomes furious. The fire of His wrath burned. His anger rose. They did not believe God or TRUST Him to care for them. Even though God commanded the skies to open. It rained down manna.  It rained down meat as thick as dust, birds as plentiful as the sand on the seashore.  The people ate their fill.  He GAVE them WHAT THEY CRAVED. BUT GOD... but while the meat was YET in their mouths.....
Verse 31 says:  the anger of God rose against them, and He killed their strongest men. He struck down the finest of Israel’s young men.
Verse 32-33 says but in spite of this, the people kept sinning. Despite His wonders, they refused to trust Him.
Verse 34-38 says: When God began killing them,they finally sought Him. They repented and took God seriously. Then they remembered that God was their rock, But all they gave Him was LIP service. They LIED to Him with their tongues. Their hearts were not loyal. They did not keep His covenant. BUT GOD... was merciful and forgave and DID NOT destroy them all. He did not unleash His fury and anger. He was merciful and forgave their sins
Verse 39 ends with: For He remembered that they were merely mortal, gone like a breath of wind that never returns.
So why did Psalms 78 hit me so hard?  I see we do this a lot in our culture.  We are taught.  But we walk away, grumbling and complaining when we don't get what we THINK we need.  We start doing things on our own then complaining that God isn't big enough to fix our problems we created by walking away  from His commands  or by breaking His laws.
So whats really eating at me? As I have been praying for Wisdom, I have added discernment to that prayer.  And one thing I keep hearing God say is: TRUTH matters.
The picture earlier in this post ends with: "says a lot about the anticipated traffic numbers".   Now lets look at the scripture reference that backs that picture up. Matthew 7:21-23
 Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’  But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
Please do not let another day go by and think that your spiritual resume, your attendance in church, or your work in the church will get you your ticket into Heaven.
John 17:3:And this is eternal life,that they know You the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.
 
IMG_0155
This is also written on my site www.meredithsagekendall.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment