Monday, January 20, 2014

Celebrate Freedom


Everything in time can be measured by Pre or Post.  For me today is one of those days... 3 years ago is a day that changed my life. And I think it is ironic that this year it falls on a very celebrated day, MLK day.

Three years ago started just like today. I got up, got my coffee, was reading my Bible and got ready for work. What I did not know that in just a few short hours life would take a turn that would shake my very core.  It would make me question why I was doing the things I was doing.  Did I care or not to ever help another person, especially in the community I was in, to ever see their self worth as something different or just say "screw you and good luck with that".

Many of you know my story and my journey.  Today, 3 years ago at 11:29am I was beaten up by a lone African American male.  He had no special features of tattoos nor did he smell of cologne nor smoke.  He was just there.  He was never caught.  He still runs the streets and I still have to daily deal with the decision I made to go back and still teach self worth and you can make something of yourself.

Many say I am nuts.  They say they would have quit.

I can't tell you how many times I have wondered "why"? Why do I care.  Then I get told things like:

"Your a good all around teacher, and you make the Bible make sense".- county male inmate 2012

"Because of your class, I have given my life to Christ"- State male inmate 2012

"When I get out I want you to help me start talking to the youth, so they don't make the same mistakes I did" - County inmate 2012

Why do I write those quotes.... Because based upon the description of the man who beat me up and left me with NO FEELING still to this day in my face.... 2 out of 3 could be him.

I have to deal with the fact that at any given time this man could come up to me in a class and say "it was me".

Also last week that percentage increased seeing we started classes in DCSO, the same county where the attack to place, Davidson County.

So why do I do this, it's definitely not for the pay, because I do not get a paycheck.
I do this because Satan meant for this to be bad, BUT God....is using it for good.   And at the time, I definitely did not want to hear scripture from well meaning Christians: "well you know, all things work together for those who love Him". Then in the next breath "I can't believe you are going back to teach".

But if you know my life verse and put it with 3 more verses you will know why I go back.

My life verse is:
For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. Ephesians 2:10
Now put that with these scriptures:

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose Romans 8:28

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth Acts 1:8

The hardest thing I had to deal with a year later was to realize that it could happen again and again and again, BUT God gave me Acts 1:8 on New Years 2012 and said re- read and study that word "witness".  So I did and it means "martyr, up to death".
I realized that by freeing men, women and youth from the bondage of Satan, meant I had a bulls-eye on my back.  Are you a threat to the work of Satan?

Then we have the Great Commission
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.    Matthew 28: 19-20

So today as I celebrate being alive and being given the opportunity to serve God even more...

What is it that God is asking of you, but you are allowing fear to stop you, because it might get messy?



 

No comments:

Post a Comment